Thursday, March 19, 2009

One Bad-Ass Day of Training

Know what's awesome about slow periods at work (other than the all-encompassing fear that I'm soon going to be let go)? Why, the fact that my gym is a mere block away from the office, of course!

Monday night, I had the last soccer game of the season for my Winter Warriors league (this league, in general, was just a HORRIBLE idea--but that's another story for another post). Like every other game this season, we lost (go Cocktails & Dreams!) . . . unlike every other game this season, we actually played pretty well together and came quite close to pulling a victory off. If nothing else, it was fun to see just how in shape I am now compared to when we started (back when I was suffering from the bronchitis from hell). I felt like I could have run up and down that field forever!

Then on Tuesday, I was scheduled to do speed intervals, but woke up with a throbbing, pulsing nightmare of a headache that refused to budge, no matter how many tons of Advil Liqui-Gels I consumed. Thus, Tuesday turned into an involuntary rest day.

Yesterday, as I sat in my office, I became so bored I actually contemplated poking my eyes out with pencils . . . just so I wouldn't have to stare at that taunting sloth of a clock any longer. But then I came up with a fabulous idea instead . . . I would go to the gym and get my speed intervals out of the way; thus allowing me to leave work on time (5:30 p.m.) and go straight home, just like a real person! So that I did. Around 2:30, I grabbed my running gear, snuck out of the office to the gym and completed the following workout:

1 mile warm-up
4 x 800m (w/ 2 min. rest intervals)
10 minute cool-down

I completed the first three intervals at a 7:41 pace, and picked it up to a 7:35 pace for the last one. And? It felt pretty darn easy, I have to say. Perhaps the rest day did me some good.

When I was finished, I reluctantly showered, got dressed and headed back to my office for another 2 hours of complete and utter boredom. As I sat there staring out the window of the office across the hall, I began wishing I could go for another run. It was just the perfect day for an after-work run! Unable to contain my desire any longer, I sent Wilson an email:

"This is going to sound weird considering I just got back to work from the gym, where I completed my speed workout for the day . . . but would you feel at all like going for a slow recovery-ish run this evening? I'm planning on leaving here on time, and I just feel like it's too nice out not to!" (Not to mention, I don't really know what else to do with the extra free time when I leave work at a reasonable hour--it's so foreign to me!) Well, Wilson couldn't deny that the weather was beautiful (in the 60s!!!). He told me he was game for a run "assuming your legs are okay." Pssh! What am I? Some kind of frail, hunched-over elderly person?!

So once we arrived home, we changed into running gear, and ran over the Brooklyn Bridge and back for just under 4.5 miles at a 9:40 pace. My legs? Were not the happiest with me for subjecting them to the stupidly steep incline of the bridge (twice). And also? I seriously had to fight back the urge to punch every stupid, slow, meandering tourist I wove around right in the head. But somehow, it was still a fabulous run. I felt like I was flying on the descents and I just felt like my legs were stronger than ever on the ascents. And hey, I somehow managed to avoid the certain death of being clipped by a maniac biker while swerving around clueless tourists who repeatedly stepped out right in front of me; all in all, it was a great run!

We got back to the apartment, quickly showered and changed, and then headed out to one of our favorite restaurants, Pete's Waterfront Ale House. I had a Brooklyn Monster and some delicious beef brisket. Then? With my belly full of beer and brisket, I passed right out at 10:00 p.m. for a whopping 9 hours of sleep!! I could get used to this whole leaving work on time thing!


EmLit said...

It sounds like it was not just a bad ass day of training, but a bad ass day overall! Awesome work on both of the runs, and way to go playing dodge the tourist/biker--always a challenge when the weather is nice!

aron said...

definitely a bad ass day of training!! great job! hope you continue to get out of work on time :)

Anonymous said...

I am so very jealous at your day-time run and your evening run. Where did you find a job like that?

Anyway, great job on the evening flying run and your composure for not hitting the tourists in the face ;-)

Have a great weekend!

Rachel said...

Wow sounds like fun! Wish I could jet out of here to get a mid-day run in.

The Laminator said...

I'm officially jealous...that's not a good sign for me. Yay for you though! That's a two-a-day workout. Hardcore!

*jen* said...

Damn. That's hardcore. I have a hard enough time getting myself in gear for one workout a day...or every other day.

Weather in TN has been amazing as well and I'm just itching to get outside. Great job on the workouts!

Marathonman101108 said...

A run, followed by food and BEER!! You're my kind of runner! It must be cool running over the Brooklyn Bridge. Perhaps I'll get chosen to run in the NYC Marathon this year...umm, does it go over the Brooklyn Bridge?!!

Spike said...

that is an awesome workout, plus sneaking out of work to do a quick workout, then sneaking back in is a dream of mine. that makes you my hero for the day.

fortunately, unlike you and Wilson, I never have to worry about dodging tourists in Lansing.

SueBob said...

Sounds like a great day! Except for all that showering...which is one reason I like to get my runs in early BEFORE work - I hate having to REshower later in the day.

Running and living said...

I love the sneaking out of work. I've meant to do it several times but it just never happens for me. Nice work with the intervals - great feeling when they seem easy - and the afternoon workout.