THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Two Black Cats . . .


Image: http://www.toonpool.com/cartoons/Black%20Cat%2002_13987

Wilson and I were out for a blissful 5.5-mile run the other night, when two--yes, TWO--black cats crossed our very path. Now, I know there are cultures that consider black cats to be harbingers of good luck . . . but everything I've ever seen/heard has suggested otherwise. When I somehow managed to dump a huge glass of seltzer water all over my laptop later on that night, I began to get worried. After all, I WAS still waiting to hear back about a job I had been through three long interviews for. The last thing I needed was (double?) bad luck on my side!

Well, the bad news is that my laptop's keyboard is totally FRIED despite our best efforts to salvage it. The good news, though, is that I will soon be able to replace said laptop using my very own shiny, new paychecks! Yes, that's right. The nightmare that was our never-ending unemployment saga is finally over. I was offered the job I've been up for yesterday and I accepted it without hesitation. It's a techie job, which I find hilarious . . . I guess I just never thought I'd find myself in a tech position. But hey, it's a job, it pays (decently), and I'll make it work! The semi-bad news is that it's a night/weekend gig, so I'm still trying to work out what that will mean for my running schedule*. But hey, if I managed to figure it out at the old law firm job--where I essentially worked both the "day shift" AND the "night shift" (and more often than not, the "weekend shift" too)--I can't help but feel like figuring this one out should be a cinch! ;)

Speaking of which, running has been going just swimmingly! Wilson and I have been running regularly and even threw in an 8-mile long run last weekend. It was ah-mazing! I felt strong enough to really push it through the last mile, so I was definitely very pleased. At this point, we're still working on building our mileage back up, but I am definitely getting VERY excited about the prospect of adding speed-work back into our routine sometime soon. Have I lost my mind?! Perhaps . . . but whatever the case, I am seriously jonesing for some speed!!

Well, that and apparently some ultra fun. Hehe, I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I am highly considering tackling El Scorcho 50K on July 17. Because what could possibly be more fun than running from midnight until sun up? In July? In the Texas heat? We shall see whether the new job will allow for time off, but if so, I'm pretty sure I'll be toeing the line at my first ultra-marathon come July!

Alright, well I'm going to wrap this up now so I can get right to work catching up on what y'all have been up to . . . but thank you so, so much for your kind and encouraging words. They've helped more than you can imagine! I'm sure I'll have some deep thoughts about this whole experience at some point in the not too distant future; but for now, let me just say that I think I've decided that black cats really ARE good luck :)


*You know you're a running nerd when: you don't worry AT ALL about how your social life will suffer as a result of working the night/weekend shift, but DO worry constantly about how you are going to figure out your training/racing schedule!

9 comments:

Jen Feeny said...

Congrats on landing a gig girl!!! That is great news!!!!!

Paige said...

WOOHOOOOOOOO!!! Wonderful news!

Nitmos said...

50k's in Texas sound wonderful. Go for it!

Aron said...

SUCH great news!!!!! So happy things are coming together :)

Lindsay said...

haha! loved the *footnote. i had the same thought at first, i'm sure you can work it out -- just think, running in the morning when you get off work when it's "cool"est in TX. riiight cool in tx.

congrats on the jobs!!!!!!! woo hoo!!!

Jason C. said...

Congratulations on the new job, and hopefully you will be able to get off to join us for El Scorcho! We would love to have you.

Laura said...

Congrats on the new job!

I have considered El Scorcho the last two years but never quite had the guts... maybe this will be the year :)

Spike said...

Congrats on the new job, that is such a huge relief, we were all wishing for you.

Now, get the time off and run an ultra won't cha.

pay per head service said...

It is pretty weird that two black cats together cross your path. It sounds like even worst luck.